Saturday, May 25, 2013

Clan Mackenzie






      Above is Eilean Donan Castle, former seat of the Clan Mackenzie/ McKinney in Scotland. Having spent much of my free time in the past year working on my families genealogy I was able to find that my great great grandmother on my fathers mothers side was of the McKinney Clan.
       Her name was Angeline McKinney, born in the state of Virginia in 1855. She was the third generation born in the U.S. and I have been able to trace their coming over from Ulster Ireland. Upon further research of the clan history I was able to see that it originated in the Highlands of Scotland.
        The reason I have found this all interesting and wanted to share it on my blog is because I will be traveling on a trip to Ireland, Scotland and England with my wife and two of my best friends. We will be visiting this castle and many more like them. We had decided to go visit it before I had managed to track my family history back to it. I am all the more excited to see it and the surrounding lands, and get a real feel for where some of my family came from.
        I will be adding more about my family history and genealogy, as well as some pictures of the sites related to them. Don't be surprised if you see a lot about Clan Mackenzie being posted over the next few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment